What is canning?
Canning is a great fundraising method where you stand outside in various local cities with other NUDM dancers and ask anyone passing by for donations, as you tell them about NUDM and our beneficiaries and people donate cash and coins!
Where is canning?
Canning is offered every Saturday of winter quarter in various suburbs that have permitted NUDM to send dancers, as well a few other days throughout the quarter. In every city that offers canning, dancers must stand in public spaces, such as sidewalks and not inside private businesses.
How do I get there?
You can get a FREE ride to go canning on a scheduled canning day, just sign up at go.nudm.org/canning! You can also take the metra or other public transportation on any day to go canning in Winnetka!
What do I bring?
Pick up a can and bib (yellow vest you have to wear while canning!) in Office E on the third floor of Norris during any weekday! You can also wear a costume or bright clothes as well to attract attention and bring a fun energy! Make sure to be dressed warm (bring gloves!) as you’ll be standing outside for 1-2 hours!
What do I do with the money?
In order to turn in cash for NUDM, bring it to the Cashier’s Office (open 9am-1pm) on the first floor of Norris (to the left of Norbucks!), and give them your name in order for it to count towards your personal fundraising total. The finance committee will update the amount on your fundraising page within a week of when you turn it in.
When will the money show up on my page?
After you turn in your money at the Cashier’s Office, it will take anywhere from one day to one week for the Finance committee to allocate it to your personal fundraising page.
Any more pro tips?
- During red lights, walk/dance (safely!) in the street along the drivers’ sides of the cars
- If one side of the intersection is getting a lot more traffic than others, rotate every 30 min with the other canners!
- Approach EVERYONE and give them your elevator pitch! You never know if they’ll donate or not unless you ask
- The more you show you want to be there, the more they will donate! Be energetic, enthusiastic, friendly, and fun. Enjoy yourself!
Helpful facts about Children’s Home & Aid?
- Children’s Home & Aid provides counseling, mentoring programs, expression therapy, and more to foster youth and families across the state of Illinois to restore their health, hope and faith in the people around them.
- $25 provides a Warm Welcome Kit to a new child who arrives at Daniel F. and Ada L. Rice Child + Family Center from foster care
- $50 provides adoptive or foster families the ability to get to the Daniel F. and Ada L. Rice Child + Family Center (gas, food, recreation) to spend time with their kids
- $75 provides one session of therapeutic drumming or art therapy supplies for one week at the Daniel F. and Ada L. Rice Child + Family Center
- $100 provides an entire living unit at Daniel F. and Ada L. Rice Child + Family Center (9 foster kids) to spend the afternoon at the movies, bowling, or at a White Sox game (including their hot dogs, soda, and cracker jacks, for example
- In 2018, 1,526 abused and neglected children were kept safe in foster homes, 193 children were placed in permanent families, 221 families received adoption support services, and 675 fragile children were strengthened through counseling