Thank you so much for your interest in being the Emcees for Northwestern University Dance Marathon 2019! This is an integral role to the success of NUDM, and we thank you for considering to spend your year working with us. There is an audition process for the role of Emcee, and applicants must sign up and audition as a pair or trio. Please work together to complete the following written application in a word document before your first-round audition.
Your combined application is due by Thursday, September 27th at 11:59pm. Please email a PDF version of your application titled FirstNames-Emcee-App to our Productions Co-Chairs, Meredith Mackey and Jordan Kim, at firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition to the application questions, please submit a video (approx: 2 minutes) showcasing your personality, humor, and relationship with NUDM. Include the video file titled FirstNames-Emcee-Video in the email you send with your written application (.mp4 & .mov files are great, as well as anything shared on Drive!).
You are also required to do a live audition to complete your application; these will take place Friday, September 28th – if you cannot attend on the 28th, we can make other arrangements. To schedule an audition, please fill out this doodle with the submission of your application. Please schedule yourselves near other applicants to avoid large gaps.
To be transparent, emcees can audition as many times as they would like through their years at Northwestern, but please note that the selected NUDM 2019 emcees will not be able to audition to emcee again in future years in order to ensure that as many members of the NUDM community as possible are able to hold this position.
If you have any questions about the role or the audition process, please feel free to reach out to Meredith and Jordan at email@example.com! We can’t wait to see what you’ve got!
Emcee Role Description
The NUDM Emcees are the public faces of Northwestern University Dance Marathon both during the event itself and throughout the year. At Dance Marathon, the Emcees are responsible for maintaining a positive and entertaining atmosphere for the audience, both in the tent and for those watching at home. Most importantly, the Emcees must be prepared to motivate dancers in an encouraging, amusing, and engaging manner, handle unexpected situations with composure, and become the biggest advocates for both the primary beneficiary, Communities In Schools of Chicago, and the secondary beneficiary, the Evanston Community Foundation, for all 30 hours. To achieve this, the Emcees must present poise, an ability to roll with the punches, and an ability to take direction well.
Throughout the year, the NUDM Emcees are expected to be the ambassadors of NUDM. As such, they should be prepared to attend all official NUDM events, including but not limited to trivia nights (Tuesday nights at 7:30 pm), BUILD events, service days, and the like. Once selected, the Emcees become a part of the Productions Committee; as such, they are expected to work with committee members at Productions committee meetings, which occur at 5:00pm on Sundays. They are critical members of the Productions team responsible for producing videos shown during and before Dance Marathon. The Emcees also collaborate with other NUDM committees for various events and initiatives.
The NUDM Emcees must bring the energy, personality, passion, dedication, and integrity necessary to become role models for the entire NUDM community. Moreover, they must be able to educate people about both Northwestern University Dance Marathon and its mission as well as our primary and secondary beneficiaries. As such, the emcees should be knowledgeable about both Communities In Schools of Chicago and the Evanston Community Foundation and be prepared to communicate the missions of both organizations effectively.
The NUDM Emcees play a vital role in connecting the NUDM community, the Northwestern community, and our beneficiaries both during the event itself and the months leading up to the 30 hours. They should be prepared to take on the commitment necessary to execute their role to the highest degree possible.
See you soon, and break a leg!
Carpe (NU)DM, Meredith & Jordan
Please include the following information for each member of your team:
- Full Name
- Phone Number
- Year, School, & Major
Respond together to the following prompts. Please be concise. Your application should be a maximum of 4 pages (plus the 2-minute video).
- Why do you want to be the Emcees for NUDM 2019? Why this year specifically?
- Describe your experiences with NUDM and what makes you passionate about this year’s primary beneficiary. What distinguishes NUDM from other worthy philanthropic causes and events, both on campus and in general?
- Do you have any experience being in front of a crowd/entertaining? This can be anything from putting on skits in your family living room to being on actual Broadway – no experience is necessary though.
- How did you meet your partner? What’s special about your relationship? Why are they your perfect pair?
- What makes NUDM a community? How can the Emcees help everyone in the NUDM community feel included and welcomed?
- The Emcees are the face and voice of NUDM. What does this mean to you? How would you use this influence to impact NUDM as a whole?
- How would you describe NUDM to a new student? How would you change this description to describe NUDM to someone who has previously chosen not to participate? How do you plan to make people feel valued as a part of the NUDM community, even if they’re not in the tent?
- Being an Emcee is a large commitment, and it requires some level of schedule flexibility. What are your other time commitments for this school year, particularly during winter quarter? Please be as specific as you can, and know that being honest here will not hurt your chances in any way. How much time and energy are you able to commit to NUDM considering these other obligations?
FIRST ROUND AUDITION SIGN-UPS
As mentioned above, fill out the doodle at https://doodle.com/poll/hftcwv8zk3fuu5bb when you submit your application for a first-round audition. Please schedule yourselves around other applicants to avoid large gaps. Thanks so much and SEE YOU SOON!